Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 34 at The Culinary: Vietnam

Today I had Vietnamese for lunch.

I woke up a little earlier today, and I was ready in time for lunch. One of my friends came by and asked if I wanted to go find food with her. I obliged, and we went off to Roth to find something good. We came across Asias which was on Vietnam day. It was the upstairs Asias, not the downstairs, so I wasn't scared that the food would be bad.





-- Vegetable Crepes with Steamed White Rice, Soy Sauce, Lime Cabbage Salad
-- Sweet and Sour Soup
-- Caramel and Walnut Cookie
-- Apple Pie

The crepes were better than I expected, and I think it was mostly because of the coconut flavor they had. They were warm and fluffy, and there were julienne vegetables inside. This was actually the second time I'd ordered the vegetarian item consciously. The salad was too strongly flavored with lime, but everything else was good. The caramel cookie was outrageous. It was basically caramel that was molded with walnuts into a cookie shape. It broke apart very easily, and had an intense flavor. The apple pie was good too, but I wished the crust was thicker.

After math class, I went to dinner. I got out early, and the only thing that would be open for the next 45 minutes would be K16. So, I went to K16.



-- Beef Burger with Caramelized Onions, Muenster Cheese, and Fries
-- Pumpkin Pie
-- Banana Cream Pie

Unfortunately, the picture I took of the burger isn't that great. It was a burger, so it looked like a burger. There was a mound of dark, caramelized onions under the tomato. The burger was really good, and during the meal I talked to a new friend of mine. He's in my class, meaning he started school the same three-week block that I did, and he's 31 years old. He is originally from Brazil, went to Italy for a year in his teens, and also went to Australia for his masters degree. He's traveled all over South America and Europe, and he was telling me about it. He also told me all about what Brazil is like, because I was curious and asked him. The pies were excellent, with the exception of the crust. The same crust was made for each kind of pie, and it was crunchy. It just was not the texture you wanted. These are my favorite kinds of pie, so I enjoyed it as much as I could

After dinner, I put my dishes away and went to Product Knowledge class. The previous class wasn't over yet, so I waited outside the doors. While I was waiting, a bunch of tour guides were taking groups of people through the hallway, and they would all stop at the window I was standing by. It was funny, because it looked like I was on the tour with them all. When people I knew passed by me, they were confused. While I was by the window of the classroom across the hall, the Apple Pie Bakery Café kitchen, I took a couple pictures of a cake that amused me.



If you don't understand what it is, I'll tell you. It's a cake with the theme of the Super Mario Brothers video game. I thought it was excellent.

Today's Product Knowledge tasting wasn't my favorite either. It was also full of allergy problems.

- Tangerine
- Blood Orange
- Asian Pear
- Grapefruit
- Clementine
- Yuzu
- Meyer Lemon
- Blueberry
- Raspberry
- Blackberry
- Dried Cherry

I do like the taste of all orange-like produce, but I don't like pulp. I've never been the kind of person who eats tangerine segments for a snack. I find it to be almost completely made of chewy pulp. I just don't like that. So, I ate a tangerine segment and it provided assurance. I sucked out the juice for the blood orange. I didn't try the asian pear, because normal pears give me allergy problems. The grapefruit was good, and it was a red grapefruit, in case you were wondering. I passed on the clementine, and I liked the meyer lemon. Meyer lemons are like lemons, but much sweeter. Yuzu is basically the juice of the yuzu fruit, and it resembles a sweet lemon juice. I didn't eat any of the three berries, because I knew they'd irritate my throat. The dried cherry was good though.

Until the next post,
Eat well, then eat more

No comments:

Post a Comment