Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 25 at The Culinary: Pasta

Today I had a New England style lunch and Pasta for dinner.

For lunch, I went to the Americas kitchen. It was the first day of the new block, which meant that the students in the Americas kitchen had just gotten there, and this was their first day cooking for this class. This could mean the quality will be affected, or it could mean nothing at all. I think that, in this case, it meant nothing. Here's lunch:









-- Salad with Almonds and Apple Cider Vinaigrette
-- Amish Corn, Chicken and Noodle Soup
-- Poached Farmhouse-Style Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms and Boiled Root Vegetables

This lunch was very comforting. Everything was soft, warm, savory, and reminded you of home cooked meals (even if you didn't eat this at home). Maybe this happens with other people, or maybe it's just me, but when I think about poached chicken, I picture a quick and flavorless cooking method which will result in a plain, bland product. This is sort of like my mom boiling broccoli. However, this chicken had the quality of a roast chicken, except it was skinless. The meat was very tender and juicy, and I was very pleased with it.

Once again, I received Brussels sprouts, and it was magical. They were cooked, I don't know how, and halved. They were tender as well, and incredibly flavorful. Good Brussels sprouts pretty much make my day. I only realized now that I didn't start with salad or soup, but I don't care. It was probably because of how much I wanted to express my feelings for the Brussels sprouts. But let's finish with the meal.

The other vegetables were also very soft and tasty, and the biscuits were heavenly. I've only been here around four weeks, and I am already convinced that the school's best products are biscuit and scone-like breads. They are so incredible. These biscuits were perfectly buttery, flaky and warm. I'm glad I got two.

The salad was fine, but it was a little too acidic from the vinegar. I still ate it, but it could've been better. The soup, however, was very good. It was basically a simple chicken noodle soup with some corn in it. I was happy.

For dinner, I went on an adventure! It was kind of an adventure. I mean, I went to K16. That's pretty much the least exciting place to venture to. However, I adventured within K16. I ordered a pasta dish for the first time at the CIA!





-- Pasta in Shallot Cream Sauce with Bacon, Peas, Parsley and Tomatoes
-- Strawberry Banana Kiwi Juice
-- Sacher Torte 

Sacher Torte- An extremely rich Viennese classic of chocolate cake filled with apricot jam


This was such a good decision. I didn't try a pasta until now because I kept thinking to myself things like, "There's duck, roasted lamb, Indian food, Japan downstairs, why would I get a pasta?" There always was something that sounded better than just pasta. But that's a vicious circle, because I couldn't know how good the pasta here was until I'd tried it.

It turns out that everyone was correct that had recommended the pasta to me in the past. It was perfect. I don't really even prefer cream sauces with pasta, but this was scrumptious. In short, expect more pasta posts for the future. The juice was good, as always. I get that juice pretty much at least once a day, just so you know.

I did not like the cake. I think I just don't really care for apricots in sweets, and this cake had an extreme apricot flavor. Everything else about the cake was great. Without the apricot glaze, it was a rich chocolate cake. It's too bad for the apricot.

Until the next post,
Eat well, then eat more

No comments:

Post a Comment