Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 33 at The Culinary: Double Dinner

Today I had two dinners.

I slept in, and by the time I got ready, all of the kitchens were closed. I wasn't hurrying to get ready in time. I knew I was sleeping in. After I got ready to start the day, I did some practice problems to get ready for my math quiz. I went to math, took the test, and went to dinner.








-- Chicken Coq au Vin on Buttered Noodles with Roasted Onions, Bacon and Mushrooms
-- Fruit Tarts
-- Cream Puff
-- Hazelnut Cream Cookie
-- Salad with Guava Curry Vinaigrette and Toasted Cashews
-- Sauteed Sea Bass with Grapefruit Salsa, Black Bean Purée and Coconut Rice in Smoked Sweet Potato Sauce

Coq au Vin: Classic French dish of pieces of chicken cooked with onions, mushrooms, and salt pork with red wine.

The chicken dish was very comforting. I said I'd be having more pasta dishes, and here's proof. It wasn't the best cooked chicken I've ever had, but it was good nonetheless. Everything else was definitely good, especially the bacon. It was thick cut, which is my favorite, and tasted extra smokey. I got two fruit tarts right away, because one of the best things I've found at the school are the tart shells. They're just really good every time. Because of my allergies, and my impatience, I scraped off the fruit and ate the custard-topped shell. The cream puff's whipped cream filling was excellent, and the hazelnut cream inside the cookie sandwich was dreamy.

After I ate the meal, I thought about how I still had a swipe left, and didn't want to waste it. I figured I might be up late, and I might want a snack later. So, I brought my dishes back, and wondered the halls for an open kitchen. I found Americas, and low and behold, it was Caribbean day again! They even had some goat left! However, I need my meals to be diversified, so I got the fish. It was originally snapper, as the menu reads, but they changed it for bass. They're allowed to do that. It was funny, because in math class, we used a costing form with the example recipe of red snapper filets with grapefruit salsa. And now I'm ordering it.

After I ordered it, I went to the dish room again and loaded it neatly into a to-go box. It looked really good, but I just wasn't hungry. I tried to carefully place each and every item into the box as neatly as possible, and I think I did a good job. I also put my salad into a separate box. I was thrilled that I was able to get that salad again.

When I finally got hungry enough to eat it, I brought out the boxes and heated them up. I evaluated the quality considering it was reheated in a microwave. The fish was good, but the grapefruit in the salsa made it a little too tart. You could barely taste the sauce, but I think it was just a light flavor which got hidden by being microwaved. The black bean purée was delicious, and the coconut rice was my favorite part. It was sweet and lightly coconut flavored.

When I was on line to get food, I decided I'd give you guys a treat. I took a picture of something else that I look at every time I get food. The kitchen!


This is K16, and the students are ladling sauce over the barbecue ribs with cornbread and slaw.

Until the next post,
Eat well, then eat more

No comments:

Post a Comment