Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 15 at The Culinary: Korean Street Food

Hello. Today there was a special Korean food event on campus.

One of the many interesting clubs at this school is the Korean Student Association. From what I can tell, they're mostly Korean people, and they set up an event where they cooked traditional Korean street food and sold it to students. They set up tents in Rosenthal Field which is behind the Rosenthal Residence Building, and the event was from 4:00-8:00 PM.

I knew I wanted to try as much of this food as possible, especially because it was a one-day thing. I didn't eat anything until the event started, and when I got there, there was a very big line. The line was pretty much just because of the way the event was set up.

There were two stations. At one station there were students who had a large menu, and you would pick what you wanted. You'd pay however much it cost, and they'd give you a little distinct piece of paper (one for each menu item you chose). Then you would go to the second station and exchange the pieces of paper for food.

All over campus there were flyers and ads for this event that the group made, and here it is:


So, that was the menu. When I got to the front of the line, I asked, "If I buy one of everything, would I be able to physically carry it all?" He looked at me funny and said, "...sure."

So I got one of everything and carried it all back to my room. The spoils:






I'm not going to list what I ate in the normal format this time because it's all listed in the first picture. The same goes for the descriptions of what they are. I won't describe what they are, except for a few details.

The fried things were very good. One tasted like a fried piece of piece of squash. The one in the last picture was a fried piece of seaweed filled with clear noodles. I liked that one. The other, misshapen, fat one looked and tasted like a latke. It was very good, and it was filled with various vegetables. The chicken skewer was my favorite thing there. It was just as the ad described it. A very close second was the tuna roll. I'm happy I got to buy an entire fresh tuna roll for only two dollars. It was actually and honestly one of the best sushi rolls I've ever had. The weird rice thing in the cup tasted like a weird rice thing in a cup. The stuff that looks like pasta in a red sauce was nothing like that at all. It was very-hard-to-chew, rice things in a spicy asian sauce. It wasn't that good. The two kinds of soy dipping sauces were great though, and they tasted good with everything there.

I didn't have any other meals that day, but I did meet with a friend to have a snack late in the day. I invited a kid I met to my room to try the cheese and duck salami I got from the Greenwich Village tour with me. He came over, and we polished off about half of each of them. They were really, really good.

Until the next post,
Eat well, then eat more

No comments:

Post a Comment